April 30th, 2012
It’s a little bit country…it’s a little bit rock n roll. Okay, not really. It’s a little bit 1970s beachside motel redecorated to look like the 1950s inside, its a little art deco diner. The Homer Laughlin China Company has announced the latest Fiesta Ware color, which will make its debut at retailers and on the web this summer.
In the last few years, Fiesta is famous for making colors that harken back to some of the originals but are just a teeny tiny shade off (Note: Yellow), or even such a small variation on a recently discontinued color that one ponders why they went in the same direction. When I first saw the announcement, I wondered how close it would be to Rose. It remains to be seen once I can hold and touch it in a store, but the color appears to have a different undertone – just enough to probably “fight” if you have a cupboard full of Rose but maybe to contrast better with the the earthy tones? On my monitor, the color looks less like a lawn flamingo and a slight shade different and more coral from the 50s pink that starred in the pink and aqua color combo.
As soon as I get my hands on it, I’ll return with a full report.
April 26th, 2012
When is the last time you actually snagged something free in the food and beverage department? Standing in line for a free squarelet of chicken quesadilla at Costco doesn’t count, and neither does free movie downloads of Julie and Julia.
Just stumbling around www.freecatcher.com and a few other freebie sites, I found a few that I missed.
- Yogi Teas has an offer. You send a friend a special eCard, and they tell Yogi where to send the tea samples you’ve picked out for them. (On my free samples by mail 2012 list)
- Flag down the Ben N Jerry’s Frozen Yogurt Truck. It is appearing in locations on the East and West coast. Right now, it is both in Los Angeles and Washington, D.C. Stay tuned for stops in Boston, New York, Portland, Oregon and Seattle, Washington.
- Go to Peet’s Coffee website and send an invite to a friend. They and you will receive a coupon good for a free cup of coffee at Peet’s.
- May 8th is Free Cone Day at Hagen-Dazs. The offer is valid at their store locations only from 4-8:00 pm local time.
- If you are a seafaring diner, the Catfish Institute is offering a nifty recipe booklet on how to prepare catfish. It’s an ebook. Darn. I miss the old promotional recipe books.
Is there anything you have recently seen that is on your “must request” list?
April 17th, 2012
Once again, Geek Alerts has not disappointed me with their Geek Toys 2012 list. There are things the 12 year old Holly Hobbie oven-abusing me should have had but was somehow very deprived. (Geek Alerts are the folks that dish out all the promotional codes, like Petsmart coupons for the little Snack Hound as well as the finest in geeky finds).
Why did they not make a Dippin’ Dots machine that you could use at home when I was smack dab in the middle of the Dippin’ Dots target demographic? While surely it will be purchased and put on the shelf right next to the Mighty Men and Monster Maker, this would have been the biggest trend if it was dreamt up during the the Dippin’s salad days of the mid 1980s and early 90s.
At any rate, apparently, you can use juices and soft drinks to make your own dots. The fine print is “REAL” Dippin’ Dots mix sold separately. Really? A standard Vanilla Ice Cream recipe will do, or so I have read at Geek Alerts. Amazon is hawking the pint sized machine that your kids will use for two hours, grow impatient that it takes 4 hours for the real ice cream to freeze if you go that route, and then that’s when the adults take over and use it every day and cherish it. (You might want to snag some Amazon promotional codes before you buy.)
If I were to be gifted with this, there is no telling what I might come up with. Hopefully I will have better luck than my Holly Hobbie oven. The electrical cord was cut off and removed before It had been given to me, if that is any indication of what was perceived to adults to lie ahead.